Monday, March 2, 2009

Southwestern Corn Chowder

If you are in a hurry, and need a quick but absolutely delicious meal, you have come to the right place. This corn chowder recipe is from a friend of mine and I made a couple of simple changes to lighten it up. Everyone who has tried it has loved it!


8 Servings : 4 pts / 5 Pts + / Ea. serving is about 1 1/2 C.
1 lg. onion
2 t. cumin
2 T light butter
2 T flour
2 T chili powder
2 cans corn, drained
1 lg can chicken breast
2 (16 oz.) jars salsa
2 cans fat free chicken broth
8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
8 oz. fat free cream cheese
chopped cilantro

In a large saucepan, combine light butter, onion, cumin, chili powder and flour. Saute onions until transparent. Add corn, chicken breast, salsa and broth. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and add cream cheese. Stir until melted and dissolved. Add cilantro for garnish.

4 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Yum - that looks so good!! I will definitely try that!!

Dixons said...

I have to vouch for this recipe! Anyone I've made it for loves it and wants the recipe. I always half the cream cheese (and always use the light), but I'll to try this even-lighter version. It's already got so much flavor, I'm sure it would still be delish!

Michele said...

Love this chowder!

LisAway said...

Love this soup! I've been making it regularly since Melanie J linked to it. It's in our regular rotation. Can't wait for winter, as I'm sure it'll be even more comforting and delicious then!