Friday, February 6, 2009

Creamy Blended Mushroom Soup

So I used the Cream of Zucchini soup as my inspiration, and made a mushroom version. With mushrooms, most people either love them or hate them. I love them. There is a little French restaurant that I have gone to occasionally that makes the best mushroom soup. My version (to me at least) tastes just as great! (With a lot less fat I am sure. The only thing mine doesn't have is the crusty french bread to go along with it!)

I made this on Monday, and ate a bowl with lunch several times this week. It was great.

So if you are a mushroom fan, keep reading. If not, this post is not for you.

2 pts/Cup

2 T butter
2 C chopped onion
1/2 C brown rice
8 C chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs mushrooms (I used 2 portabello and the rest-white button)
1/2 C light sour cream

In a large pot on medium heat, melt butter. Add the onions and rice and saute till onions are golden and soft. Add 4 C broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to med low, and stir frequently until rice is soft, about 30 min. Meanwhile, finely chop the mushrooms, (I used a food processor). When rice is cooked, add 2 more C of broth, and the mushrooms. Raise the heat back up to medium. Cook until mushrooms are soft. Using an immersion blender, blend until desired consistancy, adding the additional 2 C broth once it is blended. (Or you could take out of the pot and use a blender) Heat till hot, and turn off the stove. At the end, add the sour cream and stir till incorporated.

By the way, I did not take a picture. It is just brown soup.

No comments: