Thursday, October 23, 2008

Not Rocket Science

Tonight I went and got my hair done. I was talking to my stylist, Steven, and somehow the topic of weight loss came up. I told him that I have lost almost 10 pounds in the past couple of months. He said, Wow, how did you do it?"

I didn't want to get into the whole Weight Watchers thing, so I just said that I have been trying to make good choices by doing the following things:

1. When I go out, I look ahead of time at the restaurant's nutritional info, try to choose places where I can find a healthy option, and know ahead of time what I am getting. I didn't go into details with him, but the other day, my in-laws wanted to eat at Ruby's Diner. That was a hard one. I studied the menu (I go to dwlz.com to find out the menu options and their Weight Watcher's points) and figured out if I ordered a bowl of vegetable soup, and split a grilled chicken sandwich on a wheat bun and split the side of fries it comes with with my mother-in-law, that I could stay within my daily points. It wasn't easy to resist the burgers and shakes, but I did it, indulging in only a spoonful of my daughter's chocolate shake.

2. Not eat out as much. It is much easier to eat healthy when you prepare it yourself.

3. Watch my portions. Try not to stuff myself. Try to stop eating when I am no longer hungry, but not full.

4. If I know I want a bigger or more fattening meal at dinner or whatever, I eat a lighter breakfast and lunch.

5. I have one splurge meal a week. This is where I use my flex points for the week, for those of you who know the Weight Watcher's program. This meal is my indulgence, so I don't feel deprived. I don't have a splurge day, or weekend, however. Only 1 meal.

6. I exercise 4-5 days a week.

We both agreed that for the most part, for most people, it's not rocket science to lose weight. You just have to do it. That's the hard part. But the more I make these changes to my life, the easier it is to live this way. I really like it. Crazy, huh.

2 comments:

Katie said...

So true! Isn't it annoying to know exactly HOW to lose weight, but just not having the will power to actually do it? I finally reached my breaking point last week when I noticed how much weight I've gained since summer. Now I'm focused and I'm ready to do what it takes! Thanks for you posts, they help me keep my eye on the prize.

{jen} iCandyhandmade said...

I hear you... It has taken me years to get to this point. Now it doesn't even feel that hard, because I really am thinking of it as a lifestyle.