Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pistachios

When was the last time you ate a pistachio? It had been a while for me. Thanks to Everybody's Nuts, and Wonderful Pistachios who sent me some sample pistachios, I got to eat them today. I was reminded how good they are!

Here are some little known facts about pistachios:
1. Pistachios are the most nutrient dense nut
2. Pistachios are a "super food"
3. Pistachios are full of antioxidants
4. Pistachios are one of the lowest fat and lowest calorie nuts
5. Pistachios are one of the highest fiber nuts

Pistachios are known as the "skinny nut" and yeild the most nuts per serving: 49 per oz compared to 23 almonds, 14 for walnut halves, and 18 cashews.

As I ate this snack in front of the tv today, (I had about 30 which is around 100 calories) I was surprisingly satisfied. It takes a little while to eat them, as you remove the shells, which is a great way to make the eating experience be more satisfying and take longer.

Everybody's Nuts and Wonderful Pistachios recommends setting out bowls of pistachios on Super Bowl Sunday, instead of other high-fat snacking foods. I think it is a great idea.

So if you want a great salty snack, pick up some pistachios, instead of those potato chips, you won't be sorry!

No comments: